Friday 6 March 2009

Body Extensions and Body Art

This topic is very interesting to me, because it relates so closely to the project I am working on at the moment. The project is about dolls, I started by looking at types of dolls, their function, purpose and role in our culture. This research also lead me to Hans Bellmer, an artist who created disfigured female dolls in the mid 30's to mid 40's, in opposition to the Nazi's idea of a 'perfect' Arian nation. A couple of weeks ago I had a conversation about the purpose of dolls, and how creepy and strange dolls look, and why that is. Perhaps it's because of their similarity to the human body, but complete lack of movement. Or that sometimes the dolls eyes have black iris' or no pupils, which makes them feel empty and consciousless. Or maybe it's because of the lack of purpose for many dolls. Why do some people collect porcelain dolls and just put them on show in a glass cabinet, etc? Of course there are some dolls like a nutcracker or sex doll that do have purpose. Just as in the lecture, what is the space between human and machine, what is the space between human and doll? I am now looking at the function and visual aspect of the limbs of dolls and human body.

Dr. Gunther von Hagen's bodies are both repulsive and strangely intriguing to me. The layers of muscle, bone, skin, and veins are beautiful, but hold very negative connotations in my mind. They remind me of pain and it is almost a taboo to see this part of the human. Yet it is what makes us human. I want to incorporate this human aspect with function to create a fine art glove. It will have layers of textiles imitating the layers of the human body, have function and purpose (like a mechanical hand gives to a handless person) but will have the doll-like aspect as well, which is the inanimate glove. This way combining human and doll, giving purpose to something not made by nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment