Monday 16 March 2009

Textiles, An Overview

The very first lecture we had was about creating a timeline of when we had physically come into contact with textiles through out our lives. When thinking about this, it shows how important textiles are to everyone, from clothing, to home accesories, to tools. Textiles is involved in almost every aspect of life. It gives us warmth, communication, protection, amusement etc. As I started this blog with textiles I feet it is appropriate to end with it as well. I have looked at many different artists and forms of art over the last few months of lectures, I have slowly gained more knowledge and realization of what shapes my artwork. What ideas and concepts I would like to explore more, and with what medium I would like to use. This is why I am ending with textiles, this is why I am in a textiles course. Textiles affects so many different aspects of our lives and expands over so many different genres of art that whatever meaning or purpose I wish to convey, I'm sure I can do it with textiles. One particular part of textiles I appreciate is it doesn't just have to be fabric, or making clothing. I could use wood, or metals or any other material because textiles incorporates it all. I feel I am constantly dancing around methods to find my own 'artistic handwriting' and I still struggle with explaining the concepts of reality, and ironic taboos of culture with it that one day I hope to achieve. However these lectures have taught me a lot of things I wasn't expecting to learn from them, and hopefully that's on the right track.

No comments:

Post a Comment